Monday, April 1, 2013

And I go at sleepy time

Yeesh. Long time, no blog!

I've actually been really busy at work (which is when I usually write my blog posts, in between spurts of productivity), so I haven't had a chance to read anyone's posts. Hoping everyone is healthy and sane. :) 

Additionally, my unnamed sport/hobby that takes-up-most-of-my-time is back in full swing, so I'm leaving the house at 8:30 AM (really should be more like 8) and not returning before 8 PM. When I get home, I am so exhausted by the day that I barely have enough energy to eat some dinner, shower, and then zone out for a bit in front of the TV before dragging myself to bed.

Speaking of bed, I got a new mattress! A few weeks ago, I woke up one Sunday to major back pain and thought, "This is it. I cannot STAND to sleep on this mattress anymore. I don't sleep well, I'm always tired, and I'm getting much too old for this." I made a trip to a couple mattress stores, hated the whole used-car mentality of it (and the prices were absurdly high), and then decided to go to Sears. They were having a 50% off sale, which I'm guessing is permanent because no one wants to pay $1000 for a mattress. After about an hour of rotating between mattresses, I found one and bought it. And additional 10% off and no boxspring needed meant it was even cheaper than I thought. Yayyyyy!

I had it delivered to my house last Saturday, and schlepped it into my bedroom. It didn't dawn on me how gigantically thick the mattress  until I threw (well, dragged) it on top of my beloved IKEA plaform bedframe. The thing is fucking enormous. I have to use the f-word there to describe how large it is, because it was so tall that it actually blocked my headboard. (Granted, the headboard isn't super high to begin with, but still.)  My reaction: "Erkk!"

I measured the thickness of the mattress, and it's a whopping 15" thick since it also has a pillowtop. The old mattress was about 7 ½ inches thick. Big difference there.

Thankfully, I remembered that this particular IKEA bedframe is adjustable. You can adjust the sides to be higher or lower, as well as the rails that hold the wooden slats up. The slats were on the highest position since my very first mattress with this bed was one of those 4" high foam things. I tried to remove the pegs that allow for the sides to be lowered, only to find the previous owner had glued the pegs in. Oh well.

After reassembling my bed, I put the slats back on and tried again. MUCH better. Still higher than the old mattress, but at least this time I didn't need a ladder to get into bed and could actually see my headboard. However, it makes the bed a bitch to put sheets on, because it's nearly impossible to lift the edge of the mattress.

As for sleeping, I'm still in the adjustment period. At first I was afraid it was too hard – the one in the store was firm but the pillowtop was cushy – but I did some reading and apparently the materials need to settle and break in... which makes sense, since the store one has probably been  laid upon hundreds of times.

So far, no back pain, and I think I'm sleeping more soundly. But I've also made an effort NOT to sleep on my stomach, which I'm 90% certain is the cause of it. I tend to take up in the early morning and roll over on my stomach, which feels comfortable at the time, but then I wake up feeling like a 6 year old has been sitting on my back for two hours.

That's about it for now... I did go a date with the friend of a friend, but that'll have to wait until next time!




Post title song reference: "Cornflake Girl" - Tori Amos

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Congrats on the new bed, hope it continues to work out. I get the same excruciating pain when I sleep on my stomach...I'm not built to be a stomach sleeper, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo tempted to follow suit. I just worry I'm going to get rid of a mattress, that's in very good shape, and get something expensive the doesn't actually make my back feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I got my last mattress I was shocked when I got it home to find out that none of my sheets fit on the bloody thing because it was so much thicker than my old one.

    Glad you got one, I'm due for a new one too but I'm broke so just tossed a foam mattress topper on it.

    ReplyDelete