Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I hope ya don't mind, let me clear my throat

So, the Valentine's party was interesting, to say the least. First off, the open bar was a complete shitshow. I literally stood at the front for 25 minutes before I got my drinks. It was like I was in this black hole of the bar, because the people on both sides of me couldn't get the bartenders' attention, either. I think the problem was that the open bar was a true open bar – for example, you could get a specialty martini with your drink tickets, which meant they were busy making drinks rather than just pouring standard rail drinks and beer.

Secondly, it was at a bar that hosts a bocce league, so the poor bocce ball teams were trying to just get their pitchers of beer in between event folks ordering ridiculously complicated drinks. I was standing next to a really cute bocce ball player for most of my wait time, and unfortunately couldn't even start a conversation, because it would have meant taking eye contact away from the oblivious bartenders. He ended up walking away after 20 minutes, saying, "Sorry... hopefully I'll see you later!" Unfortunately he disappeared by the end of the night. Sad face.

Thirdly, there were more women than men, which doesn't entirely surprise me, but it tended to make other girls unfriendly. I think I got the hairy eyeball from several girls simply for saying, "Excuse me," to walk past their conversation partners. Also, I think the problem with these branded "singles" events is that everyone knows everyone else is available, and therefore everyone has an agenda. That, combined with the male-to-female ratio, meant it was in favor of the dudes, most of whom just wanted to get some booty.

And finally, my #%^@ cold/post-nasal-drip induced cough came roaring back by the end of the night. I had nearly kicked the thing by using a nasal decongestant spray the night before – I made it through Wednesday night without waking up coughing, which was a welcome relief. However, I didn't do the spray before I left the house Thursday, and one tickle-y cough turned into a couple more, and before you know it, I was coughing literally every 30 seconds. It was not attractive.

I guess on paper it looks like the party was a bust, but it actually has me interested in joining a bocce league. Granted, I don't have the slightest clue on how to play bocce, but it doesn't look super hardcore. (Unlike last year's kickball league, which had this one asshole team that played it as a serious competitive sport and ruined it for everyone.)

As far as my cough? Much better after a weekend off, but at this point it's just an annoying post-nasal drip cough -- the cold seems to have finally left my body. Finally!






Post title song reference: "Let Me Clear My Throat" - DJ Kool

1 comment:

  1. Ugh on the cough, I hate that nagging kind of thing! Hope it is gone for good soon!

    The singles event sounds interesting, I think it's cool you're considering joining a bocce ball league. Off to google bocce ball.... :p

    ReplyDelete