Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fighting the battle of who could care less

Also known as, "Adventures in OKCupid messages."

10 days into logging back into OKCupid, and not much on the horizon. I've gotten plenty of visitors and a handful of messages, but unfortunately quality != quantity.

For example, one message I got last Saturday consisted of: "Princess, I'm taking you out for dinner and dancing. On me, of course. Call 555-555-5555 blah blah blah."

Princess? Only my mom calls me that, and even then I don't like it.

And then we have the overachievers... there's the guy that sent me two messages in the span of 6 hours (and keeps visiting my profile), and another that sent me a message that said, "Hi, I'm ___. Pleased to meet your acquaintance." I deleted it, because he sounded like a scammer, and the next day I received ANOTHER message from him: "Did you get my last message?" SRSLY?!

And the best one so far -- I couldn't delete this one fast enough -- "You look like a dominant submissive. Am I right?" (WTF? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron...?)



[Headdesk.]

I have responded to a couple of messages (I have a little trivia question on my profile, and lots of them try to answer it. Unfortunately, it's kind of nerdy, so it attracts nerds). Some seem to have potential, but overall I still seem to be attracting duds. And, go figure, the couple of guys I've initiated contact with don't reply. Go figure. I really wish cute-possibly-British-guy would respond, but I also didn't give him much to go on... plus I did it before I updated my information and photos, so he probably saw my not-so-great old phot (provided he checked my profile!). I dunno, sucks that the few guys I'm immediately turned off by are either 1) cowards afraid of women taking initiative, or 2) I suck.
 
On a side note relating to OKCupid, here's something crazy: last night when I was on my bike ride, I passed a guy walking out of his apartment building over to his motorcycle. I smiled at him, he smiled back, and as I pedaled away, I thought, "He's cute! Wow, he looks a LOT like one of the guys I have on my Favorites list." This morning, I went and checked, and I'm about 70% sure it's the same guy. He rides motorcycles and lists renovating his apartment in (that area of town where I was riding) as his interests, and I know for a fact that that apartment building is owner-only. Or I could be completely wrong and just ended up smiling at a random guy. ;)



Post title song reference: "Battle of Who Could Care Less" - Ben Folds Five

No comments:

Post a Comment