Monday, December 31, 2012

Things we cannot change

Sorry for the brief hiatus, y'all. I spent about a week visiting my parents (who live 2000 miles away -- they moved away from my hometown several years ago), which was a nice break. Unfortunately my sister did not come out this year (she hasn't since 2010), as she's basically in a state of continual pissedoffness at my Dad for having to work at his part-time-post-retirement job. Whatevs, more food for me.

I also met someone I really wish I had met about three years ago. It's kind of a long story, so my apologies...

Background: Abby is the wife of my mom's best friend's nephew. Years ago, Mom told me that Abby's brother was very much like me and we should totally go out. Me, being pretty much opposed to my mother setting me up with ANYONE, said, "Uh, no thanks," especially hearing that he sounded like a total dork and way too much like me. (Besides the fact that he lived in the same town and thus 2000 miles away from me.)

Fast-forward to this summer. I was at a wedding for Mom's BFF's daughter and was chatting with Abby. Her brother (let's call him Blake) had moved out to the east coast, to a shitty New England town (trust me, I know of the town... it's a shithole) because his girlfriend took a job in the metropolitan city nearby. Abby was pretty upset over it, because his girlfriend is apparently VERY demanding, spoiled, and overall not a nice person. I guess Blake also hates his job and overall unhappy in ShitholeTown (he and Abby are close, so he frequently confides in her), so naturally Abby is concerned about him.

(Oh yeah, and my mom had already reiterated all of the above to me many times before this summer, because she's nosy, so it was no surprise when Abby told me all of that.)

Anyway, out of sheer curiosity I looked up Blake on Facebook. He was actually cute! Being the awkward dork that I am, I started following him on Twitter, and he followed me back. (It's funny -- he knew who I was, because he's actually spent time with my mom and dad via Abby.)

Fast-forward again to 10 days ago. I was helping my dad out with something and checking my Twitter feed when I noticed that Blake had tweeted a photo of Abby's new puppy. (Holy FREAKING CUTENESS.) I @ replied him back, saying something like "I'll trade places with you, I'm freezing my butt off here in ___!" (Truth. It was like 12 degrees.)

Next thing I know, I have a voicemail from an unknown number. Turns out it's Abby, saying she and her husband are having some friends over because Blake's in town, and they'd love for me to come over. I jumped at the chance, because it also meant meeting SUPER ADORABLE CUTE PUPPY. (Squeee!)

I end up going over (much to my mother's delight), I meet Blake (who IS cute), have a good time, yet feel super fucking awkward whenever I talked to him because I really wanted to say, "Hey, so I heard your girlfriend is a giant bitch, why the hell are you in that horrible-sounding relationship?" However, I didn't, and managed not to make a total fool of myself. The kicker is that he's funny, smart, and social guy, and I really enjoyed talking with him.

Unfortunately, that's about the end of it. He left for the east coast to visit evil GF's family (because she refuses to fly out to his state, because she hates it), and I go home, feeling somewhat dejected. Then my dear mom emails me yesterday, saying she had heard through her best friend that Abby actually liked Blake's evil GF (um, not from what I heard from Abby directly... she still can't stand her) and that he's a lost cause, especially now that they both live together in ShitholeTown. Yes, I already came to that conclusion, Mom, but you didn't have to rub my face in it.

Sigh. DAMMIT!

3 comments:

  1. You never know. This could end up working out for you at some point - maybe not for awhile but people move and relationships end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. It could work out in the end. If I didn't walk around presuming that eventually it would all work out, I'd end up in a ball hiding under my desk.

    ReplyDelete