Tuesday, January 8, 2013

And I can't find myself again

I have accomplished next-to-nothing at work in the past month. No, seriously, NOTHING.

I don't know if it's because my job has a ton of flexibility in terms of deadlines, but it's horrible because I have no self-discipline to actually get anything done, nor do I have any fear that I'll get canned. What's even worse is that I get commended all the time for crap that literally took 5 minutes to do as if it had taken me two months to accomplish, because my managers aren't techy people at all.

I suppose I can attribute a lot of this to my previous job at a government contracting firm – I was bounced around from project to project, had three different managers in the span of a year, and basically neglected and ignored. I could literally leave the office for three hours at a time to have my hair cut at a nearby mall, come back, and no one noticed or cared. At another location/project, I'd down downstairs and take a nap in my car in the parking garage some afternoons. Who does that?!

Fortunately, I actually like my new job. I'm paid about 35% more than I was at my old job, which is amazing. The benefits are kind of terrible (namely, our health insurance is abhorrent), but I really like my co-workers and projects.

So, that being said, why can't I get motivated? They're consolidating the contracts in my office, which in theory should terrify me, but in reality no one would/should get fired. (Although, honestly, I'd be happy if they kept me in my position but allowed me to work directly for the government. Sweet, sweet benefits, job security, more holidays, and they pay for my transit.) My work itself isn't boring – once I get started on something, I enjoy it and feel committed – but at the same time, I have a lot of things I'm juggling with no concrete deadlines, so sometimes I'll get distracted by one project to work on another, then have a hard time coming back to it.

Someone, please, light a fire under my ass. Or at least block my internet.

1 comment:

  1. Dude. I could have written this. I feel the same way especially now that the holidays are over and no one is jolly and there are no long breaks to look forward to - so depressing. I don't have great advice but I'm interested to hear the feedback you receive.

    ReplyDelete