Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Growing pains

I'm not sure if this is a sign of aging, or me just being klutzy and forgetful, but I've been randomly finding aches/pain that's cropped out of nowhere. For example, I was getting ready for my walk last night, and I realized my upper arm hurt... like someone had punched me yesterday and I was only just feeling it. It's slightly better today, but I'm wondering what could have caused it.

Today I woke up and noticed my chin had a swollen spot on it, maybe the size of a dime. I've been anxiously applying benzoyl peroxide to it in the event it's a major cyst brewing up to spoil my weekend, because underneath it feels like one. Either that, or I bumped my chin on something and haven't figured out what. (That's happened before... I've hit my forehead on something, found a bump the next day, and immediately applied topical medication to it before I realized it was the aftermath of whacking my head.)

I have noticed that the way I sleep is probably not the best for preventing said aches and pains. Lately I've found myself curling up my hands and arms in weird positions, possibly to keep them warm (bad circulation?), and then I manage to pretzel myself to try and get comfortable. If that's not a sign that I need a new mattress, I don't know what is... but mattresses are mad expensive! Like hundreds of dollars! And apparently you have to haggle with the showroom guys to try and get a good deal. Of all the family traits I inherited from my parents, I didn't get the haggling ability from my father. I did get the cheapness gene from him, though. ;)

Anyway. Back to nervously checking my chin for any signs of possible zit formations...

3 comments:

  1. oh god. I get cysts on my chin, too. They are so so painful. I've learned to just completely leave them alone and they heal a lot quicker. I just had one a couple weeks ago and that spot is still a little red since I picked at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sooo annoying. It sounds crazy, but short of going to the dermatologist and getting it injected with cortisone (or whatever the hell they use), I put hydrocortisone cream on it and stick a small band-aid on top overnight. It really works, if you don't mind dealing with the bandaid. ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on the aches and pains from sleeping badly. I woke up one morning and I had slept with my legs in a bizarre position and my hip hurt. I'm 29 and my hip hurt. WTF body?

    I need a new mattress too but the one I'm looking at is like $1,400 and that's WAY out of my budget.

    ReplyDelete